Monday 17 October 2011

Don't Beet around the Bush

I wasn't going to say anything, but it was my birthday last Tuesday. I was supposed to celebrate the day with my family in the gloriously sunny South African bush. Unfortunately, due to issues with my passport, this did not happen and instead I spent the day in grey old London. Don't get me wrong, most of the time I'm happy to be here, but my heart was set on going Home. I did however decide not to wallow in self pity and feel sorry for myself (for too long), and instead baked something delectable and chocolatey to cheer myself up.

One of my favourite cakes to eat at my favourite little bakery is a beetroot chocolate cake. It is no ordinary chocolate cake as it is as soft and airy as a cloud, flecked with tiny little gems of crystallised beetroot and decorated with generous swirls of silky smooth, dark chocolate ganache. Luckily I had beets in my fridge and was feeling a little adventurous, so I was more than willing to try and bake my own, with a little help from my old friend, Google :)

Apart from my red stained fingers, the cake was a complete success. It's light and fluffy and crumbles softly into your mouth and leaves you with that sweet, earthy after taste that only beetroot can offer. But most importantly off all it made me forget that I was terribly home-sick for a moment or two!

So, if you are in need of a chocolate cure for heart-ache, home-sickness or just simply the Monday Blues, then go and make this cake right now!! As for me, I have eaten all of mine and have to admit that I am still longing to be in my gorgeous South Africa. Therefore I won't give you pictures of the cake that made me forget it for a while, but will instead give you a picture that reminds me of the place I will always call Home :)


No comments:

Post a Comment