Thursday 29 April 2010

Nostalgia

Some days I wake up in a daze of nostalgia and longing and most of all missing my family. With my parents and big sister back in South African and my other sister in Canada, popping over for a quick visit isn't really an option when I feel like this. Most of the time, a long chat on Skype will help to fight off the feeling, but there are times when even that won't help. The only answer on days like these, is comfort food.


Today I found myself reminiscing about my trip to Canada of a few years ago. I had gone to pay a visit to my sister and then two month old nephew. It was the middle of winter, freezing cold and everything was wrapped up in thick blankets of snow. We spent a lot of time in the most wonderful of shops, and I feel slightly embarrassed to admit that I came back with a (borrowed) suitcase filled with all of my purchases. Don't get too worried though, every last thing that I had bought was for the kitchen. Thinking back to these happy few days spent giggling, shopping and of course eating with my sister, I knew that the only way to beat off the blues, was to eat the one treat that will always remind me of Canada, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Unfortunately these sweet treats are not all that widely available in the UK and if you do happen to find them, you have to be prepared to hand over quite a bit of cash. Not one to be discouraged, I just went into the kitchen to make my own. Using my newly acquired knowledge of tempering chocolate, I was soon on my way, lining the tiny silicone moulds with a thin layer of dark and milk chocolate and piping the smooth, sweetened peanut butter into the cups. Yum!


After demolishing a couple of these delectable creations, I was well on my way to no longer feeling blue. And then, as I remembered that I will be seeing my sister, nephew and the newest addition to their family later this year, I couldn't help but to smile :)

No comments:

Post a Comment